Diploma in Health Sciences (Therapeutic Massage)
Therapeutic massage is an exciting and fast growing health modality, nationally and internationally. This qualification provides practitioners with the ability to assess dysfunction in the soft tissues of the body and to apply techniques for change. Clients may experience reduced pain and improved physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health.
Why choose this qualification?
- Your Diploma will provide the basis for working as a professional therapeutic massage therapist.
- There are many career opportunities including: self-employment, working alongside other professionals in a multi-health practice, e.g. physiotherapy, acupuncture, osteopathy or medical centre. Other opportunities include ski-fields, gymnasiums, cruise ships, tourism, spas, resorts, hotels, on-site corporate, rest homes and rehabilitation centres.
- NZQA Level 6, 18 months full time. Limited part time day classes available. Ask about a mid-year start.
- Approved for student loans for domestic students and allowances for full time domestic students.
- International students – please contact the office for the international application pack and fee structure.
- Advanced neuromuscular adn trigger point therapy
- Myofascial techniques to treat and manage soft tissue, musculoskeletal dysfunction and disability
- Massage for elderly, pregnant clients, clients with disabilities, chronic or life-threatening illnesses and clients suffering from high stress levels
- Client diseawse and dysfunctions assessment, analysis and modification of therapeutic massage techniques
- Treatment through muscle analysis - in depth look and identification of muscles, bones and joints
- Psychology in relation to being a massage therapist and working with clients
- Professional communications and business studies
- Anatomy and Physiology: Study of the structure and function of the human body
- Be over 18 years of age with physcial and mental fitness
- 42 credits at NCEA level 3 with 14 credits in two of the following subjects: Chemistry, Science, Biology, Health Studies, Physical Education
- Literacy requirements - 8 credits at level 2 (or higher) : 4 credits in reading and 4 credits in writing
- Discretionary entrance available
Start Date: February 2014
Need more information?
Join us at our Information Evenings